A lot of parents are concerned about the posture of their teenage children. Many of them have to remind their teenagers to stand straight or sit straight. Some even engage therapy services for their children to help correct poor posture.
But, why does this happen? Before learning about the things that you can do to help your teens out, you should first learn why their postures may be bad.
Causes of Poor Posture
There are a number of probable causes of poor posture.
- In today’s world where technology is already everywhere, correct posture has been compromised. Many teenagers and even adults are always looking down on their phones, putting too much strain on their necks.
- Spending lots of time on video games or computer activities can contribute to poor posture.
- Lack of physical activity can also affect posture.
- Medical conditions such as scoliosis might be triggering the poor posture in your teens.
Complications of Poor Posture
It is important for teens to correct their posture early on through any means necessary such as physical therapy in Bed Stuy, Brooklyn. This way, they can avoid possible complications including the following:
- Abnormal bone growth
- Muscle strains
- Mobility issues
So, what can you do to help them out? Here are some tips you can follow:
- Identify and address possible underlying causes of poor posture.
Determine if the poor posture is caused by an underlying condition. A doctor can help run tests to check for such condition and address it accordingly. A solution for this situation is to take advantage of physical therapy in Crown Heights as may be ordered by the doctor.
- Let them know what a good posture is.
Do your teenagers even know what good posture is? Good posture enables any person to efficiently mobilize the body with little to no strain to its different parts. Educate them about the right way to sit, stand, walk, climb the stairs or lift a heavy object. A specialist of occupational therapy in Crown Heights, Brooklyn can teach your teens about proper posture while doing these things.
- Be an example of good posture.
Most importantly, you have to be the best example of showing good posture to your children. Do not slouch and always follow correct posture when doing various things.
If you or your young ones need help in posture correction as well as other rehabilitative services, do not hesitate to get in touch with Crown Rehab and Wellness. Our services can be customized to address your needs.